Known Workaround is described below (TLDR - download our older Logic v1.2.29 software):
Apple has released new a Mac and Macbook with an ARM-based M1 processor. At the moment, Logic is unstable when used with these Macs and Macbooks. Please comment/vote here if you are seeing this issue.
"I’m using the new Apple MacBook Air with M1 ARM64 chip so the USB controller is related to the macOS Big Sur v11.2.3.
I just seen that Logic 2 app is not optimise for M1 chip so it is running on my Mac using Rosetta (adaptation layer for Intel cpu)… have you consider to build Logic 2 for Apple M1 chip? Maybe this will solve the issue."
It seems the bug has been introduced recently - the latest version is almost unusable, but for example 2.3.8 works for me all the time. I haven't found the exact version where the issue starts, as I have managed to reproduce the bug once in 2.3.18, but not for quite some time after that.
Another thing that seems to help in the current versions is enabling analog channels (paradoxically, since it increases the data flow).
Please build Logic for Apple Silicon (arm64) so that it runs better on new M1 based Macs.
Any updates on M1 rebuild for Logic 2.x support Tim?
Thank you for the continued quick support and community engagement. Just upvoting this, my M1 Mac is pretty much dialed in for my day to day tasks except for Logic! It seems like Electron apps are (ironically) the biggest problem on M1, I hope to seen an update soon!
Thanks for voting on this. Apologies we still don't have an update as to a potential fix on Logic 2. Have you given Logic 1.2.29 a try? Not ideal, but I'm curious to hear if that helps to at least get your Logic running on your Mac.
I have issues with Logic on my M1 Mac mini as well - I get the read timeouts every time. Can't use my device at all on the Mac, I've had to drag out an old Windows laptop to use with Logic until it's fixed.
Sorry about this... We've been continuing to track these issues. Thanks for reporting it. The ReadTimeouts are what we would expect based on our internal test results.
In the meantime, have you had a chance to try the older Logic 1.2.29 on your M1 Mac mini? Ideally, we want to get this fixed on Logic 2 eventually, but this could work as an intermediate solution.
I'm running a new 16GB Mac mini M1. I was getting the occasional read timeout, but now it seems to be almost always. Sometimes, it will run continuously with no issue, then other times, it will stop after only a second or so. I've tried on 2.3.17, 2.3.18 and 2.3.19.
I've tried it on Big Sur 11.1, 11.2 and now 11.3(beta).
I've now moved to 1.2.29 and it seems to be working perfectly, but I feel like I've gone back in time after having been blown away by 2.x.xx the past year. :(
I really hope you can rebuild for M1 soon! The Saleae is critical to my every day work.
Thanks for reporting this Josh, and sorry for the trouble that caused... The read timeouts you are experiencing seems in line with what we were seeing on our end.
Sorry for requiring our older Logic 1.x software in the meantime.
My only complaint is that this does not seem to work on my Mac mini M1 (apple silicon). I haven't gotten around to asking in support forms, to get around this I've simply been using a Linux box for this.
Indeed the troubleshooting issue with the m1 chip link describes my problem. Logic2 launches fine and even recognizes my device but as soon as I start a capture I get a "Read Timeout". I tried the workaround by using Logic1 and it works just fine.
Until this is working I'll just continue using Logic2 on my Linux box to get me through. Once there is any release that fixes this for the m1 computers I'll be more than happy to try it out.
As an aside, I really appreciate the responsiveness of Saleae! I'm just a hobbyist here but every interaction I've had with you all has been top notch.
After some test V1.2.29 doesn't work for me, channels seems to slide. Is someone have the same kind of issue ?
V1.2.29 is working fine for me, but I planned to start working on an High-level extension next week that seems only compatible with V2.
I will have to find another computer...
Hi, just adding that I am seeing the issue on my M1 MacBook Air w/ latest Logic 2 using a brand new Logic Pro 16. "An error occurred during capture: ReadTimeout". I tried 2 different methods of connecting (2 different adapters) as well as unplugging my external display. No change. One of my adapters is USB 3.0 the other is USB 2.0. I tried changing the capture settings to very low-speed capture of just 1 channel, no change. Hopefully you can rebuild Logic 2 with latest Xcode for M1. I haven't tried the older Logic 1.2.29 yet.
"No, it doesn't works. I have a logic 8, and I ve got timeout and no data. I have only one mac M1. it's work on Intel Mac. The device is seen, but it does not work. It's a >Logic8 from 2011"
"Hello, I just wanted to inform you - in case you were not aware - that your Logic 1 or 2 application does not run under Apple's new ARM64 processors - even under Rosetta. The application will crash on launch."