Saleae Ideas

Vote for your favorite ideas, or suggest new ones! (new feature expectations)

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. More triggers

More triggering options. Let's say I want to decode on a I2C protocol. A very handy trigger will be by Address or Address & Data (like most MSO have). Let's say I have more than one I2C devices on bus, and I'm interested to see only one device (address) communication, writing or reading to a particular register or command. I should expect to see only that particular event captured. Look at the most real time logic analyzers and try to implement those triggers, cause without them we will end up searching the capture, and be limited by duration of that…

146 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support an external clock input

Support an external clock input. Be able to clock data in based on that external clock source. It is ok to still use an internal clock for monitoring all the inputs. However, data would be monitored “as fast as possible” while values are latched specifically based on external clock input transitions.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Find Timing Violations

Provide a way to search multiple signals for timing violations.
    Or, find the minimum/maximum time between two "events", where an event is an rising or falling edge on (different) signal(s).
    Note that this is not a trigger condition, rather it is post-processing.
    Similar to a protocol analyzer.
    Could this be implemented using the protocol analyzer existing SDK?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add 'Time between Edges Trigger'

Add 'Time between Edges' Trigger
    It would be nice to have a trigger mode that would trigger when the time between consecutive edges falls outside a specified range. This is similar to the pulse width trigger but instead of looking at two different transition (low->high then high->low or vice versa) the system would consider consecutive similar transitions.

For example, I could set the trigger to watch for rising edges, set the window from .9ms - 1.1ms. If/when the time between rising edges on this channel falls below .9ms or above 1.1ms the system would trigger.

Seems like an extension of…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow sizing of side panes

It would be nice to be able to change the widths of the side panes so that labels are not truncated. I use larger windows fonts to improve legibility. It would be nice if the pane could be widened so that a longer label could fit. The same issue is on the right side.
    For example, the timing marker delta time label is often cut off on the right so I can't read the units.

I need to increase text sizes to make them legible. In Windows, I use a larger font with high resolution rather than the default font…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve Linux HiDPI Screen support

Thanks for your great product!!!
    On a 4k Linux laptop using the HiDPI setting:
    - there is too less space for the channel numbers and channel names, as the left column stays too narrow in that mode
    - the icons on the left for the channels would best be scaled up in HiDPI mode, they are fairly small right now

Note: the HiDPI mode normally scales all fonts and icons up by a factor of two, in order to make them readable on a laptop with a 4k screen. These laptops become more common these days, and more software does…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Improvements to UI - Analyzers

If I have for example four Async Serial analyzers running and I want to adjust the settings in one of them there is no visual indication which is which. I have to go into the settings first, see which one it is, close it down and then try another until I find the one I want to change. It would be useful to have a way of seeing which analyzer relates to which input without having to open it and see.

Another improvement in the same area is removing analyzers, as it stands you need to go into the settings…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Profibus

So analyse RS485 communication to PLC's, to see if the signal is valid

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add 'microseconds' as units for recording duration.

Logic lets you specify recording duration as a sample count or time. The minimum time unit is milliseconds. That's an awfully long time when you're working at higher frequencies. Fractional milliseconds do work, but could 'microseconds' be added as a unit?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Log to disk

It would be great to add the option to log to disk, so that we would be able to analyze a much longer period.

The feature could include the restriction to just view one portion of the logged data, but it would give the ability to track very rare bugs

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. only provide your software to customers

A simple solution to the problems outlined at https://www.saleae.com/counterfeit seems to me to stop offering your software as a free download, while someone who does not own your hardware has no business whatsoever stealing your hard work.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add ability to zoom vertically for analog channels

Please give us ability to zoom on the analog channels vertically, or at least be able to set fixed scale on that. It does not matter how (key+mouse like the shitft+mouse for region), but it is a bad joke that this is not possible.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Show mouse cursor's X position across all channels

It would be great if there were a subtle visual cue aligned with the mouse X position through all channels. Sometimes I press "1", but don't add a reference, to have a clearer idea of what's happening at the same instant in some recorded data.

Bonus points if the vertical line snaps to align with sample times.

I'm imagining a more subtle version of the cursor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34uqs5inLX0 starting at 6:45, except only showing the vertical line.

Thanks!

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow for "best effort" capturing, where occasional packet drops are allowed.

Logic's current behavior for when it can't keep up to the capture stream is to stop, drop, and roll. User experience is to either retry with current settings or lower the rate.

I'm under the impression that Logic considers a single dropped packet to be enough to stop the capture. Being able to relax that and make the capture a "best effort" might be a better end-user experience. Basically I want to be able to adjust how many packets can be dropped during a capture before Logic gives up. If I'm probing a 1mHz signal at the full 100MS/s, I've…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Fix MIDI decoder to add "Running status detection"

The current MIDI decoder implementation does not seem to support "Running status".
    This is basically when the first status byte of a MIDI transmission sometimes get skipped by the transmitter's will and only the data1 and data2 bytes get transmitted.

Currently the MIDI decoder's behavior marks any transmission that uses running status as an 'Error' or as "Orphaned data".

It would be nice to have the MIDI decoder updated to support this because it is used all the time by many MIDI devices in order to save precious 30kbps bandwidth on the bus.

This site describes this midi feature well: …

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Show names in collapsed timing marker annotations.

If a timing marker annotation is collapsed, the name field should be shown instead of the ID of the markers themselves. Saves brain cycles mapping from the letter/number to the descriptive name.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Simple Parallel - Flexible "data valid on" setting instead of only raising/falling edge

The Simple Parallel analyser (which happens to be most used at least around me) has only two options for timing the sample taking: "Data valid on rising clock edge" and "Data valid on falling clock edge". Unfortunately I encountered many situations where this is not enough or leads to errors. An example that is already suggested is that /both/ edges can be important. What happens often here is "Data valid xxx nanoseconds /after/ the (usually) rising edge". There is no chance to set this and we get erroneous results. So the suggestion is to make it flexible with at least…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Option to make a noise when triggered.

Attract attention during long term test for unwanted or unexpected signals, so the consequences of the unwanted signal can be observed.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. IO-Link

IO-Link is a protocol used for point to point communication in industrial applications. The protocol is based on UART frames. Please implement an interpreter/analyser for IO-Link frames.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Redirecting of Analyzer packets to a user-defined UDP host and port

It could be useful for writing custom applications in any programming language for extended analyzing.

Alternatively this could be used to redirect the packets to a non-existing local UDP port and further analyzed with Wireshark.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base