Saleae Ideas

Vote for your favorite ideas, or suggest new ones! (new feature expectations)

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow time markers A1 and A2 to be moved as a pair

Allow time markers A1 and A2 to be moved as a pair (keeping interval between them) along the signal, this is very useful when trying to check is one signal is the same timing as another or for splitting bits from a message

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Delete regions in capture

It would be great to simply remove unrelevant regions from captured data by simply marking (set marker or just mouse drag) it and hit DEL. It should leave the timebase intact, so the deleted portions will leave timegaps in it. So one can focus on relevant parts of the signals

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use standard operating system windowing/UI

The custom software UI isn't compatible with or doesn't implement basic operating system windowing features.

I'm not sure why using custom window framing is worth the hassle just for a fancier title bar, but the current software misbehaves in many situations and ignores basic placement commands.

Currently the software maximizes over the task-bar on Windows and ignores window snapping/tiling. It also can only be grabbed/moved by the title bar, which can be accidentally moved off-screen or placed underneath the task-bar. Once this happens the window is unmovable because it doesn't implement the right-click move command, and ignores tiling/placement. Because the…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make the stop button reachable

The location of stop button is not convenient: it's located at the center of a dialog box that gets itself centered in the main Logic window. As the Logic main window is usually large, it gets overlapped with other UI windows from other software. This means that the Stop button is often, if not always, hidden by other development windows.

It would be very great to move or better add a "stop" button close to the Logic menu bar or anywhere else it could be made easily reached when several development windows are displayed (... usually the one from which…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Inteligent mode for unknown asynchronous capture (serial triggering)

I just purchased this product and it seems nice to analyze known protocols. But (for reengineering) I have to read a specific non standard 30 bit protocol. It would be nice if I could capture something (anything) and tell the software after (by highlight with the mouse) where the frame is I am interested in, or better on which start / stop it has to take care for. Even better or more enhanced, if software by itself sees (intelligent) the repeating pattern (eg. every 30 bit a sequence of whatever (1111111010 in my case).
    If the software can do that…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Remove or make the simulation mode of the software more obvious.

I've been a professor's assistant for embedded systems classes at my local university for the last few years. One of the most common problems the students seem to have when using the Saleae analyzers is that they accidentally run and then try to debug the simulation mode. (The second most common problem is having the connectors plugged in upside-down.)

Although it's pretty comical to have a frustrated student come grumbling about how everything they do ends up funky, and you point out that they don't have the USB connected, it is surprisingly easy to forget and run the software unintentionally…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. allow the screen background color to be changed.

The dark background looks nice, but when sent to a laser printer via screen capture, it wastes tons of toner, and is hard to see.
    Please allow the background color to be customized, along with the trace color.

(go download the zero_plus logic analyzer program, and look at what they have implemented)

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support decoding SPI in Byte or Frame mode

Currently SPI protocol analyzer only seems to capture single bytes on the SPI bus. It would be useful to be able to capture the whole frame (=from chip select to deselect). In this case, only frame start timestamp would be necessary.

So if exported data now looks like this:
    Time [s],Packet ID,MOSI,MISO
    70.337110600000003,813,0x81,0x80
    70.337135720000006,814,0x81,0x31
    70.337162719999995,815,0xA4,0x31
    70.337190199999995,816,0x81,0x31

It would look like this instead.

Time [s],Packet ID,MOSI,MISO
    70.337110600000003,123,81-81-A4-81,80-31-31-31

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support Ganged units

We have several of these Logic16 beasties. I sometimes need more than 16 channels, so it would be good to support capture from 2+ units at once to capture more traces.

I get that USB3 has limited bandwidth, so maybe tradeoff digital vs analog channel count with sampling rate.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Continuous Trigger

I would like to see a continuous trigger mode, like you would find on an oscilloscope.

I don't need to have each triggered event saved separately, I would just like to see it displayed.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Counter

Several signals I am analyzing require a count of rising or falling edges.

Having a simple "Counter" protocol analyzer would be very helpful.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Quick access to enable/disable protocol analyser

It would be nice to add a enable/disable protocol analyser feature, so that one or more protocol could be hidden/shown without losing its/their configurations.

The protocol analyser mixed protocol view makes protocol tracking quite difficult to achieve, and it would be great to be able to easily hide/show protocol(s) among all the configured ones.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. disable popup

It would be definitely great to get rid once for all off the boring "sign in" popup to post ideas. It sometimes get hidden behind the main browser window, prevents from using password manager such as 1password as the popup window does not show the browser tabs, and how is using popups anyway :-)?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Abilty to change individual trace color

A user should be able to change the color of each trace individually or as a group (ctrl + mouse)

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve Jumping between Digital Edges

Instead of making us hit the tiny Next Edge button to select a trace to use with the keyboard shortcuts N and P, allow us to simply highlight the trace we want to navigate on the left pane under Start. Then use Shift Left and RIght to navigate edges.

Also, allow us to highlight in the Decoded Protocols pane to navigate using keyboard from event to event.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add light theme

As the title describes. I use my environment inverted sometimes and having everything be light or everything be dark is good. Otherwise when you switch between apps you switch between being blinded and not.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Sell your software as a stand-alone product

Sell the software licence as a separate product.

This will allow counterfeit users to legalise their products.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  New product ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add possibility to jump to next of "filtered" results with key combination.

A little example to clear what do I mean. I'm using Saleae Logic analyzer to check what messages are sent over CAN-Bus, but in particular cases I need to check frame content sent by node with specific ID. It's easy to filter those frames, but jumping from one frame to other using "Decoded Protocols" sidebar is not very convenient. It would be nice either to jump to next filtered result key shortcut. Other idea is to add possibility to filter protocol specific things (like CAN ID or given value of 3rd byte, for example), instead of just simple values. In…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Pervasive channel colors

It would be nice to repeat the channel assigned color in the configuration panel, as it's easier to match the wire color to the channel selection than mere digits.

The same idea would also apply to other location where channels are tracked, but these ideas have already be submitted. To sum up: use channel color wherever channel info is shown.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When zooming in, intelligently zoom in on the nearest event to the cursor.

The scroll wheel currently zooms in on the sample under the mouse. When zooming in on a particular event, like a packet, if the packet isn't perfectly centered under the mouse cursor, it will quickly slide away from the cursor and off the screen when zooming in large amounts.

Instead, when zooming in, the software should check to see if there is an event very close to the mouse cursor (i.e. 2 pixels away or closer). If so, the software should zoom in on this event instead of the exact mouse cursor location, so it doesn't end up panning off…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base