Saleae Ideas

Vote for your favorite ideas, or suggest new ones! (new feature expectations)

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Async Serial Screen for UART communication

I want to watch serial port messages on a serial port screen. it is hard to track in protocol segment.

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a Rolling Capture Window

It would be awesome if you could simply set a rolling capture window (i.e. 1 minute) and start recording. Then, the device would just keep the last minute of data (or whatever) and toss anything older. Sometimes it's tough to tell what you need to trigger off of. It would be great if we could just leave it running and hit stop after an event occurs and get the last n minutes.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Python API for Protocol Analyzers

It would be very handy to expose a Python API to allow writing custom protocol analyzers.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Use RGB LED for real-time view

Turn the RGB LED on the analyser red when Logic is recording.

Similarly, turn it green when the recording has stopped, and even yellow when additional memory is needed or when a memory overflow occurs.

Up to now, the RGB LED hasn't been used on a useful way.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Hardware Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Trigger

I miss other, additional trigger options. This means where I can use 'pattern' triggers with more than one channel.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Run protocol analyzers in background threads

I have captures of around 3GB, and I'm trying to analyze 3 separate SPI bit-streams in the capture. Unfortunately the UI freezes for extended periods of time while trying to decode all the data.

Instead of performing the protocol analysis on the UI thread; it would be far better to run the protocol analyzers in separate threads which would leave the UI responsive for navigation. Additionally this would result in faster execution when using multiple protocol analyzers on any modern processor with multiple cores.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. stop trigger

Similar to start trigger, add a stop trigger which should stop capture when there is no data available on the channel. The time for which it should wait for stop triggering should be configurable and be available to user via Options. This feature should be available in SDK and an API should be made available to users. This will help in automation of start and stop capture, without hardcoding the capture time.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Hardware Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When channels are hidden, show in Device Settings window

You can easily hide a channel by clicking its gear icon and choosing the cryptically named "Hide This Channel". But then, there's no indication that there's a hidden channel, unless you go to the "Device Settings" window and count channels.

How about having the "Device Settings" channel selectors show a "Not Visible" icon when a given channel is not visible?

This would be even better if a (non-editable) "Device Settings" popup were available from saved data tabs.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Capture the clock while sampling

The waveforms show the time since start of data acquisition on the x-axis, but it would be nice to be able to see the real world time as well.

For some longer tests it's helpful to know what time a glitch occurred relative to the wall clock.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Stream Logic data to external application

I would like an SDK option where my application could command your LogicPro 8 or 16 to gather data from your 12 bit A/D at a specific data rate, with no gaps. It could also "stream" the digital channels the same way.

For example, I would like to gather data at 1 us intervals from your a/d and stream them into my application, with no "restart" gaps.

It is expected that there will be circumstantial upper limits to this data gathering streaming feature, as CPU's, USB ports, hardware, Operating systems, etc., all vary in abilities.

That opens up a world…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. High level protocol decoding when zoomed out

When zoomed out it would be helpful to see protocol analysis at a higher level. For example, with the US analyzer when zoomed out you would see packet level decoding like "configuration descriptor request", and then as you zoom in go back to decoding individual words.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add API/SDK for measurements

You already have a great SDK for analyzers. How about one for measurements? I can think of a number of interesting measurements that would be easy to implement as a simple plugin, but may not be of generic enough value to include in the app itself.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve analyzer debugging experience on Windows with Visual Studio

Debugging new analyzers with Windows can be tricky for a couple reasons --

1) You cannot debug with the latest versions of the Logic software. You have to use an older version (1.1.18 32-bit), which does not work with the newest Logic analyzers.

2) You cannot import logic captures made with newer versions of the Logic software into version 1.1.18, because the serialization format of the logic captures has changed.

The ways I've thought of to get around these problems developing a analyzer for Infineon DAP include:

1) Debug analyzer using simulations made with existing analyzers (SPI and JTAG, for…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Liveview for channels

Show the current state of each channel (H/L) in the channel boxes even while not capturing. This could help while setting up wiring or analyzing slow patterns in realtime

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. offer more flexible wiring

If I'm using the test probes on points where they can't grab very well, the slightest movement can make them pop off. It would help if you offered more flexible, smaller gauge, wires. I can appreciate the compromise between making them flexible and making them last, but I'm sure you could find something better. Also, it would be good if we could leave off the ground wires we don't need. How about allowing each wire to unplug separately from the connector, or just giving us a kit so we can build our own?

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hardware Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Be able to import and export logicdata files gzipped

There is about a 4 to 1 reduction in size on large analog captures in gzip. I also noticed the latest beta reduced the size of the logicdata file significatntly over the released version. Did something change?

This is a big deal if you're trying to archive captured data.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Custom protocol parsers

Add some interface to implement new proprietary protocol analyzers to be run by the software.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. SSI - Synchronous Serial Interface

Widely used serial interface standard for industrial applications ie encoders. It will be useful to many people.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add "trigger out of range" capability to existing pulse trigger capability (watchdog)

I want to use the Saleae as a watchdog. Example: my embedded system outputs a square wave with a 1.00 sec pulse width. I would like to capture trace info when the pulse is < 0.995 sec or greater than 1.005 sec.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base