Saleae Ideas

Vote for your favorite ideas, or suggest new ones! (new feature expectations)

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Offer Linux builds for ARM, ARM64, and POWER

We don't use x86 in our lab environment, instead we use Linux on a variety of other architectures including ARM and POWER. Furthermore, the analyzer software is not open source, so we cannot recompile it to work within our lab environment.

Can you please provide Linux builds of your software for the following architectures?

armel (ARM 32-bit)
    armhf (ARM 64-bit)
    ppc64el (POWER8+)

Even unsupported builds would be greatly appreciated -- without them, we're probably going to have to use and start improving the existing WIP open source replacement for your software.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make windows snap when dragging to the edge of the screen

Typically in Windows 7 and on, when you drag a window to the side of the screen, it will "snap" its size to automatically take up half of the screen. For example, you can snap the logic analyzer to the window to the left, and a datasheet or schematic to the right, and they will each take up half the screen.

Also, dragging the window to the top of the screen automatically maximizes it. As someone used to working with windows like this, I'd like the Salae windows to behave this way too. I'm not sure why they don't but…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A signal pulse analyzer to see list of: pulses' duty, duty cycle, frequency, etc.

Why not consider simple pulses as a protocol? It could be useful to list pulse characteristics as duty, duty cycle, frequency, period and others as a decoder and to see that values over the trace. It could be another idea to see the pulse number in order to count them.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. More triggers

More triggering options. Let's say I want to decode on a I2C protocol. A very handy trigger will be by Address or Address & Data (like most MSO have). Let's say I have more than one I2C devices on bus, and I'm interested to see only one device (address) communication, writing or reading to a particular register or command. I should expect to see only that particular event captured. Look at the most real time logic analyzers and try to implement those triggers, cause without them we will end up searching the capture, and be limited by duration of that…

212 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add pre-trigger time to files exported to matlab format.

Hi,
    the data exported to Matlab format contains all samples within the pre-trigger period. That is perfect. However, there is no information about the "time 0" displayed in the Logic UI.

I know that this time directly correlates to the "Pre-trigger buffer size" settings. When analyzing exported files, there is no way to figure out what this buffer size was set to.

It would be nice to just have an additional item "pretrigger_time" provided along with the data.

Anyhow, nice work!
    Sebastian

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support an external clock input

Support an external clock input. Be able to clock data in based on that external clock source. It is ok to still use an internal clock for monitoring all the inputs. However, data would be monitored “as fast as possible” while values are latched specifically based on external clock input transitions.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Find Timing Violations

Provide a way to search multiple signals for timing violations.
    Or, find the minimum/maximum time between two "events", where an event is an rising or falling edge on (different) signal(s).
    Note that this is not a trigger condition, rather it is post-processing.
    Similar to a protocol analyzer.
    Could this be implemented using the protocol analyzer existing SDK?

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Profibus

So analyse RS485 communication to PLC's, to see if the signal is valid

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Protocol Analyzers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Auto-naming of analyzer export file name

My current workflow is as follows: I capture some data and save the raw file as "SampleNr1_Param1_Param2.logicdata". I have one analyser for SPI set up.
    Then I export the analyser result als ".csv". However, the default file name this dialog suggest ist "untitled.csv" and I have to re-type all my long sample name.

Therefor I wish to request the following features:

- the default file name should be the file name of the raw capture (if already saved) + name of analyser + number to make the file unique if file with same name exits already.

- there should be…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Extended 8+1 = 9-Bit SPI decoding

I have to debug a weird SPI protocol where 8 data-bits are followed by an unused 9th bit (similar to parity bit). It would be great to have an additional SPI-protocol in the format 8+1, where you can choose not to show the 9th bit.

Another - more general - way would be, to introduce separate calculation channels with some basic math, where you can do calculations on the output of the analysers. In my case, I could insert a calculation like this: " myCalculationChannel = MOSI >> 1 " (i.e. shift right by one bit).

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Export -> Save File: add (*.*) and (*.txt) for CSV

Please add file-types Any (*.*) and (*.txt) to the file-save dialog in the Export window for .tsv and .csv files.

The problem: I want to save my data to files with a .txt ending. However, in the case of tab-separated data, the ending .tsv is always appended to the file name, if I already written "myFile.txt". The default selection in the file value drop-down menu "Tab separated vales (*.tsv)" forces the addition of ".tsv" to the file name, so I end up with a file called "myFie.txt.tsv" !

It is common good practice to always allow load and saves to…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve Linux HiDPI Screen support

Thanks for your great product!!!
    On a 4k Linux laptop using the HiDPI setting:
    - there is too less space for the channel numbers and channel names, as the left column stays too narrow in that mode
    - the icons on the left for the channels would best be scaled up in HiDPI mode, they are fairly small right now

Note: the HiDPI mode normally scales all fonts and icons up by a factor of two, in order to make them readable on a laptop with a 4k screen. These laptops become more common these days, and more software does…

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Wire harness connector alignment

Hi,

I would suggest making the wire harness-to-Logic device connector Poka-Yoke so that there's no question of manually aligning the ground wires downward.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Hardware Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add 'Time between Edges Trigger'

Add 'Time between Edges' Trigger
    It would be nice to have a trigger mode that would trigger when the time between consecutive edges falls outside a specified range. This is similar to the pulse width trigger but instead of looking at two different transition (low->high then high->low or vice versa) the system would consider consecutive similar transitions.

For example, I could set the trigger to watch for rising edges, set the window from .9ms - 1.1ms. If/when the time between rising edges on this channel falls below .9ms or above 1.1ms the system would trigger.

Seems like an extension of…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Log to disk

It would be great to add the option to log to disk, so that we would be able to analyze a much longer period.

The feature could include the restriction to just view one portion of the logged data, but it would give the ability to track very rare bugs

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow sizing of side panes

It would be nice to be able to change the widths of the side panes so that labels are not truncated. I use larger windows fonts to improve legibility. It would be nice if the pane could be widened so that a longer label could fit. The same issue is on the right side.
    For example, the timing marker delta time label is often cut off on the right so I can't read the units.

I need to increase text sizes to make them legible. In Windows, I use a larger font with high resolution rather than the default font…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Improvements to UI - Analyzers

If I have for example four Async Serial analyzers running and I want to adjust the settings in one of them there is no visual indication which is which. I have to go into the settings first, see which one it is, close it down and then try another until I find the one I want to change. It would be useful to have a way of seeing which analyzer relates to which input without having to open it and see.

Another improvement in the same area is removing analyzers, as it stands you need to go into the settings…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add 'microseconds' as units for recording duration.

Logic lets you specify recording duration as a sample count or time. The minimum time unit is milliseconds. That's an awfully long time when you're working at higher frequencies. Fractional milliseconds do work, but could 'microseconds' be added as a unit?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Software Ideas  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base